The DOE Communities LEAP (Local Energy Action Program) aims to facilitate sustained community-wide economic and environmental benefits primarily through DOE’s clean energy deployment work. Communities LEAP seeks to facilitate sustained community-wide economic empowerment through clean energy, improve local environmental conditions, and open the way for other benefits primarily through DOE’s clean energy deployment work.
Who is eligible? Low-income, high energy-burdened communities that are also disadvantaged and/or experiencing direct economic impacts from a shift away from historical reliance on the fossil fuels industry. Applicants must include one community-based organization and one local, tribal, territorial, regional, or state government entity. Check out the eligibility map for more details.
What do communities receive? Selectees may get extensive, customized technical assistance for 12-18 months to advance their community’s clean energy goals. There is also an opportunity to receive direct funding (up to $50,000) for services rendered to support the delivery of technical assistance. How many communities will be selected? 24-32 communities across this nation
What topics can communities receive assistance on? These are broad areas of opportunity for community clean energy-related economic development and where DOE has extensive research, resources and expertise, although applicants may pursue multiple topics, or explore opportunities beyond these approaches provided they are in line with program objectives :
· Clean Energy Planning and Development
· Energy Efficient Buildings and Beneficial Electrification Planning and Investment
· Clean Transportation Planning and Investment
· Carbon Capture and Storage
· Critical Minerals Resource Potential from Energy Wastes and By-products
· Community Resilience Microgrids
· New or Enhanced Manufacturing
· Advanced Nuclear Technology and Support for Existing Reactors
· Puerto Rico Community Resilience (for Puerto Rico communities only)
How can communities apply? Applicants can utilize an optional fillable template or submit a PDF with all required information to: CommunitiesLEAPInfo@hq.doe.gov. The application deadline is December 14, 2023, at 5:00 p.m. ET.