Question of the Month: Which federal tax incentives were extended as a result of the recently enacted Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010?
Answer: On December 17, 2010, President Obama signed H.R. 4853, the Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010 (Public Law No: 111-312). This Act extends and reinstates several alternative fuel tax credits through December 31, 2011. See the Federal Incentives & Laws <http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/laws/fed_summary> Web page for additional information.
Extended tax credits include:
- Qualified Alternative Fuel Infrastructure Tax Credit: http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/laws/law/US/351
- Volumetric Ethanol Excise Tax Credit (VEETC): http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/laws/law/US/399
- Small Ethanol Producer Tax Credit: http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/laws/law/US/352
- Small Agri-Biodiesel Producer Tax Credit: http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/laws/law/US/342
The Act also reinstates several tax credits that expired after December 31, 2009:
- Alternative Fuel Excise Tax Credit: http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/laws/law/US/319
- Alternative Fuel Mixture Excise Tax Credit: http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/laws/law/US/417
- Biodiesel Mixture Excise Tax Credit: http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/laws/law/US/395
- Biodiesel Income Tax Credit: http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/laws/law/US/396
Special Rule for 2010 Excise Tax Credit Claims:
The Alternative Fuel, Alternative Fuel Mixture, and Biodiesel Mixture Excise Tax Credits were reinstated retroactively, meaning taxpayers may submit a one-time claim for qualified fuel sold or used during the 2010 tax year. The U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has issued special guidance to allow a 180-day period for the submission of these claims. Please refer to the IRS Notice 2011-10 for additional information (http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-11-10.pdf).
Two vehicle purchase incentives expired after December 31, 2010, and were not extended:
· Qualified Alternative Fuel Motor Vehicle Tax Credit
· Light-Duty Hybrid Electric Vehicle and Advanced Lean Burn Vehicle Tax Credit
The descriptions of these expired tax credits, including the expiration dates, will remain on the Federal Incentives & Laws Web site until the federal tax filing deadline.
As always, please contact us with other questions, or if you have suggestions for additional resources or a future Question of the Month.