Virginia Clean Cities is Hiring!
We’re currently looking for a Deputy Director at Virginia Clean Cities
The application deadline is Thursday, May 14, 2015 with a desired start date of Monday, June 1, 2015
All applicants must apply through James Madison University’s JobLink site, Search for ‘Deputy Director, Virginia Clean Cities’, posting number 0406635 or click here.
Virginia Clean Cities (VCC) seeks a qualified professional to serve as Deputy Director to provide organizational leadership support, and to oversee the program’s portfolio of activities, sponsored projects and contracts. Virginia Clean Cities is the Commonwealth of Virginia’s longstanding clean fuel coalition, and one of around 90 Clean Cities coalitions nationwide that supports domestic energy, environmental and economic security through educational and deployment efforts towards reduction in petroleum use in the transportation sector.
This position will provide management level support to a nearly 20 year old nonprofit with a five year university partnership. It will be under the supervision of and provide support to an Executive Director and other senior staff, and have staff assistance with able program managers as project staff, and administrative financial assistance. The university grant projects also receive guidance and support from an office of sponsored programs, including program, legal and accounting support funded by project indirect funds. Nonprofit programs receive guidance from a board of directors.
This is a grant-funded position and is contingent upon continued funding. The position will be based primarily in Harrisonburg, Virginia; however, travel throughout Virginia and the United States may be required on occasion for professional conferences and as project needs arise. A vehicle and/or travel reimbursement will be provided for trips.
Duties and Responsibilities:
– Oversees the management of the nonprofit grant portfolio for alternate transportation fuels infrastructure, vehicle deployment, education and outreach in order to comprehensively reduce petroleum use and decrease harmful emissions.
– Oversees and works with project management and support staff.
– Reviews high-level deliverables across VCC portfolio.
– Works with VCC Executive Director and Board of Directors to implement quality assurance and evaluation procedures.
– Provides leadership for organizational office activities and JMU partnership.
– Maintains and improves sound business practices within boundaries of non-profit and university environments.
– Pursues leverage opportunities to benefit across grant programs.
– Provides input and assistance to seek additional grants.
– Involvement in personnel situations regarding project managers, using appropriate discretion, program HR assistance advice and respect for the individual.
– Facilitates processes for strategic planning and annual operational plan.
– Maintains and encourages improvement of high quality internal policy communication materials such as handbooks and policy memorandum for staff and board.
Project Accounting and Financial Management
– Works with Executive Director and other senior managers to develop and meet revenue and other financial goals.
– Adjusts grant budgets when necessary.
– Helps create pipeline forecasts and broad-based financial estimates.
– Addresses and resolves billing issues.
– Ensures organizational practices meet or exceeds budgeted financial objectives, including deliverables done on time, good closeout reports, that budgets are spent on time, and that projects are leveraged.
– Provide support to maintain grant and program revenue for ongoing program
– Grows positive long-term relationships with clients and capitalizes on equity and partnership opportunities.
– Effectively communicates relevant information to coalition and external partners.
– Effectively communicates with support staff and project managers.
– Understands the implications of different technical choices and is able to guide clients to appropriate solutions for their situation.
– Four years of related work experience in project management.
– A master’s degree in a relevant field or advanced academic work preferable.
– Experience with project management and contracting.
– Excellent written and oral communication skills.
– Ability to work professionally with a range of personalities.
– Understanding of alternate fuels and the Clean Cities Program.
The successful candidate will possess the following professional, management and organizational qualities:
– Achieves excellence in all areas of project portfolio management.
– Champions positive change and effectively manages the implementation of new ideas where appropriate.
– Comfortable with concepts of organizational management.
– Reinforces team approach throughout practice both on client projects and internal initiatives.
– Supports and solicits input from team members at all levels within the organization.
– Ensures regular team and practice events take place away from the office.
– Supports team skill building.
– Communicates effectively with clients to identify needs and evaluate alternative business solutions and strategies.
– Continually defines ways to increase customer satisfaction and deepen client relationships.
– Maintains lasting client relationships.
– Ensures practice delivers superior solutions to clients.
– Provides high level resolution to client issues.
– Ensures projects are on time and on budget.
– Places appropriate effort on tasks for impact and efficiency.
– Follows through on tasks and deliverables.
– Works under pressure with understanding of personal limits and willingness to seek help with diverse university and organizational resources when necessary.
– Maintains and supports the development of staff and Board of Directors.
– Assigns tasks to practice management that give managers an opportunity to grow.
– Reviews status reports of Project Managers as Senior Manager and addresses issues as appropriate.
– Reviews quarterly reports and deliverables to ensure consistency and high quality.
– Lends expertise to internal teams and task forces.
– Enforces and enhances standard policies and procedures.
For more information about Virginia Clean Cities, please review our website at www.vacleancities.org